Monday, August 15, 2016

Hot Patterns 1138 - Or, I finally finished something


My posts are now so far and few between that I feel like I should start every one off with "Yep, still alive." Blame Instagram. Blame my lack of home technology. I really need a new desktop computer but don't want to spend the bucks on it. I have a decent laptop but I really dislike blogging on it, so I'm just not doing it. Plus, I just haven't been sewing as much. A lot of that was some weight gain and not feeling motivated to sew for a body I wasn't keeping, but I'm back on track again after a kickstart with the Whole30 program.

Whole30 is a "whole" 'nother post but the short version is that I like it. I don't feel deprived at all and have found it pretty easy to eat this way. Mostly because its how I want to eat, how I used to eat. I just got lazy the last year and slid down a slippery slope. But I have a wedding to attend in May 2017 (my stepson Michael) and I'm determined to look great again by then.

So onto my latest finished project, the HotPatterns Metropolitan Verano dress. It seems that this very easy sew takes me FOREVER to finish. The last time I made it, I had started it and then lost *that* job and so it sat on Zillie. It sat on Zillie this time too, but not for any bad reason. I was just focused on other things. And once again, I'm wondering why I let it sit. I love my new dress. It's easy and comfortable to wear and I think it's flattering. I'm really not into shifts or boxy silhouettes. They look horrible on me. This dress with its elastic waist will also still fit for a while as I go down in sizes, which is great.



Speaking of sizes, this is the same straight 12 I made last time except this time I tilted the upper back bodice inward on the fold to remove a little neckline width since I had to take two darts in the back neck last time to compensate for gaping. My down-n-dirty fix worked; no darts needed. Now I am not a 12 in anything but Hot Patterns so please, please do muslins (even partial) for these patterns. They run big from their measurement chart, but it's pretty consistent across the pattern line.

No great photography here at Chez Stitches and Seams. Work bathroom selfies all the way. Heh heh.


Here's how the untwisted fronts sat and sat, mocking me.


The pattern calls for a neckline facing and while it's pretty much OK in my first make of this dress, I'm not in love. So I tossed that pattern piece (figuratively) and just turned the edge twice and stitched. I like this finish much, much better, even if it take 437 pins.


Here's what it looks like on the inside. This method means changing the construction order so that the center front is sewn after finishing the neckline and then just stitched as high as you want the neckline to plunge (or not).


I also took the same shortcuts for the waist as I did last time. I did not overlock the seams and created a casing from the seam allowances between the bodice and skirt. I threaded elastic through and just ran it over the sideseam and under the front twist/knot. Easy-peasy and no one but us knows the difference. The other change from the pattern that I made was to cut the back pieces on the fold to eliminate unnecessary seams.




I didn't add my super nifty card key loop on this, because I forgot. But I realized I can just clip it into the knot/twist, which is just as handy.


Extra goofy face.


And here's the flip-flop pic once I got home, so you can see the fit a little better. With a little Chili photobomber.


I've got another Cashmerette Concord tee (with a Hot Patterns inspired hack) cut out. Hopefully, I'll be back here with that sooner rather than later.

Stay well!

47 comments:

  1. Looks great, Deb! Your fabric gives me hearts-for-eyes! Love it! Thanks for the tips on eliminating the facings- I made this pattern but didn't love the facings (and my fabric didn't have enough recovery, so it's now unwearable, but that's another story).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I'll always toss a facing of the opportunity arises.

      Delete
    2. Maybe it's not unwearable, Meg. You could remove the facings carefully and create a binding from a solid coordinating fabric and slightly stretch it as you sew it around the neckline. It should pull it in just enough to hug your chest.

      Delete
  2. Nice dress! Good luck with the Whole30 program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That must be one of the best print/fabric to pattern matches I've seen yet. Both the print AND the style flatter you terrifficly, Debbie. You look great in the dress. I'm thinking I need that pattern now. I ALWAYS get excited when you've got a new post up. You sew such real clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nursebennett. It's a pretty easy pattern that doesn't look like a sack. I like it. :-)

      Delete
  4. It looks wonderful on you! Yay for new dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The pattern envelope does not does this pattern justice. It looks really pretty on you. Are the sleeves cut on or set in? Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that dress. The style is great on you and the fabric wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress, always nice to see you blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I've been peeking on your blog and you've been quite productive this year!

      Delete
  8. Always a pleasure to read your updates, Debbie! You know, they don't ALWAYS have to be sewing related. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Peter. I could probably sneak in some real keyboard blogging time at the office. :-)

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your post and agree that the pattern and fabric look great on you. I'm even more excited about the Whole30 program. I have never heard of it before but I have gone to their website and it sounds interesting. Thank you for the introduction. It's not all about sewing, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. The Whole30 program is pretty sensible and while there are some "radical" steps (esp. if you live for creamer in your coffee), it's still attainable and the authors acknowledge you're an adult and can make your own choices.

      Delete
  10. That dress is so pretty and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a really great dress, looks perfect on you. I love those twisty front knit dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I love the twisty fronts too. I really love your last drapey front dress. Very pretty.

      Delete
  12. When I saw this Hotpatterns pattern originally, I thought meh. Seeing your made up version puts a whole other light on it. Really cute dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Many HotPatterns are sleepers. :-)

      Delete
  13. I made the top version of this one recently, select the size that matched my measurements, and it was huge! I had to take in the shoulder seams over an inch to avoid a very droopy area around the front knot. I also had issues with the facing, and ended up "topstitching" about 1/4"in and triming the facing near the seam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you. I wish the HP peeps would rethink the size chart because it's never been accurate for me. But since I know that, I just choose sizes based on experience instead of an envelope chart.

      Delete
  14. I love that fabric and this dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so much better on you then it did on me. I wear mine as a house dress, yours on the other hand is definitely worth wearing out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie, love the fabric and the dress, you look lovely! So nice to see a blog come through, I've always thoroughly enjoyed your posts, as you tuck in bits of sewing info or pattern knowledge as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your colorful happy dress. You look gorgeous wearing this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely. Those unfinished pieces can be so rude. I have several mocking me right now. To get even I told the cats they can lay on them and cover them in fur. That will slap some manners into them :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yet another fantastic dress on you! Thank you for sharing your pattern tweaks. I especially like the neckline, and how that allows you to determine the amount of plunge at the end of construction. I have too many dresses and knit tops with runs in the fabric from the safety pins holding the neckline together at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks really fab! Love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the dress. It is very flattering. I started Whole 30 last August and did it 100% to the letter for 30 days. I lost almost 20 pounds. I have been following it about 90% since then and have lost a total of 75 pounds with about 25 more to go. But I also exercise (walk, run, weight lift) every day. I feel so much better physically and mentally. And I have had to replace my entire wardrobe!!! I quilt, I don't sew clothing so it has involved lots and lots of clearance rack shopping! I have lost 5 pant sizes! Stick with it. It is very much worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a pretty print, and the dress looks great. I found some sale gauze and sewed 10 or 12 summer dresses. Now I have to buy hangers for them. Plus, with a house full of family for a random August vacation last week, I don't know how much sewing I'll do again this summer. Oh, well. Sewing inspiration comes and goes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie, you don't know me, but several years ago your posts on low-carb on your blog and on PR got me started down that path. I've modified things a bit since then, but changing my diet changed my life (and I mean more broadly than just a little weight loss)! Life gets in the way sometimes, and we veer off our chosen path, but I'm happy for you that you are back where you want to be. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's why I haven't been sewing much either. Since Im not keeping this bod, it's hard to go to the trouble of sewing for it. I've got to get back on the wagon as well. :)

    Your dress is really cute. And I have that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always love your posts! Please don't apologize for their infrequency - I'm happy read them whenever they happen. I love the fabric you used in this dress - I wished I had some!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely dress! In fact, I like your version better than the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is really simple and very interesting
    Tanaman Obat Penyakit Epilepsi

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad to see you around the Hot Patterns site again! I started following you way back 10 years ago when Pattern Review was still new :-) I always love all your cover stitch tutorials! Thanks for another great review! The dress looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice dress! I really like it.

    I, too, have been lax in posting. I haven't checked the blogosphere in a long time, and I'm glad I checked.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Debbie, I love you & miss you. You have been both a sewing & health motivator to me. Come back when you are ready, we will be here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been going through your other creations and I can't help but notice your ID-card around your neck. I'm assuming you're at work? If you are, then you must definitely be the most stylish woman in the office. It must feel amazing to walk in wearing something NEW almost everyday. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's an excellent print for that style, and it looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.